Thursday, September 29, 2011

Raspberry Swirl Thursday

Last night was a rough one in our house. Poor Seven has had lots of congestion. I set up the humidifier and tried to make it as comfortable for him as I could. He was awake throughout the night. All the humidity broke up the mucus, but caused him to cough over and over and eventually throw up. Six was awake during all the commotion. He was awake later with his own issues. I slept in their room last night and got up with them periodically throughout the night. Like I said, it was rough. Thankfully no fevers, no infection. Due to the lack of sleep, we kept them home. My intention was to take them half way through the day, but so far that has not happened. More drama hit later in the morning when Six swallowed his first Lego piece. It was a small circle piece. He freaked out and tried to puke it up right away. He totally freaked out. He was so upset. "I don't even know which Lego set it goes to." Eventually we calmed him down. I kept telling him it will come out later. He wanted to know how long, a day, a week, a month? I didn't really have an answer for that, nor did I go into detail on how it will come out. N later told him. Just before he went into the bathroom, I heard him tell Seven what job he was going to do. What a morning.
I tried to take a nap, but had no luck. Laundry is done. I made myself another raspberry coffee cake. I have all the ingredients. The first one I made on Tuesday just disappeared too fast. It is in the oven as I type and smells incredible.
Soup and grilled cheese for lunch pleased everyone. Seven loves bagels these days. He pulled out the Nutella for dessert. We will practice our spelling words after I get the kitchen cleaned up. I am sure we will have extra homework for the weekend.
I promised to post the coffee cake recipe on here. It's my favorite. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Raspberry Swirl Coffee Cake

Prep: 15 minutes Bake 40 minutes + cooling
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup (8 oz) raspberry yogurt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup seedless raspberry preserves, divided
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt, butter and vanilla until blended; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9 inch pan or pie plate. Drop 1/3 cup preserves by tablespoons over batter; cut through with a knife and swirl. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. In a small saucepan, heat remaining preserves until melted; drizzle over serving plates. Yield: 10-12 servings.

No comments: