Tuesday, June 14, 2011

10 Years and longing for plans

It's our 10 year anniversary coming up. N just so happens to have the week off. One can dream of getting away without kids, right? Too bad it is not realistic. The logistics are too complicated. I wish we could have planned something like that. It would have been great. You'd think after 10 years we could. Maybe if we still lived in TX. Seems like we would have been able to do something like that down there. Here, not so much. How do people get to have time off without the kids? I guess it all comes down to having the right volunteer. Like I said, logistics. We can't pay someone to take care of them for that long.
Oh well. That is the life we have for now. Maybe we will have it figured out by our 20 year anniversary. Sad to think N and I will have to wait another 10 years before having a vacation alone. Our family takes priority. We just need to make time to do somethings alone. We haven't for gone on a date night for a few months now. It seems like we always settle. Example, the church dance. I had to go without him and wait for him to come after work. Late, but still there. We settled with what fit into our schedule. When will the day come where we don't have to settle? Where we can plan something for us, that it will be about accommodating us first and not everyone else? 20 years? I don't know why I feel we could have gone in TX. Maybe because it was more common then. It's a military thing, people support each other so much more. The entire neighborhood was like our family. Here, we only know a couple people on our street.
In the end, all I wish is for a couple days away. We will get away as a family in August. I have signed myself up to hosting a group of kids as soon as N goes back to work in July. After that is when I will need my vacation.
Ok, sorry for whining. I guess I need to be thankful for what I have. What am I thinking complaining? We've made it ten years and he has two weeks off in the summer. We never thought that would happen. He was the low man on the totem pole for so long. Last summer he had no time off. Turn it around and stop complaining, I will focus on what is in front of me and not think of the what could be. It's selfish. Foolish to envy those around, when I can embrace what I have and enjoy. The summer is so precious for the children. It seems like school will be back here before we know it. Thanks for listening to me ramble. It will be a great summer, regardless of what we do.

No comments: