Saturday, November 26, 2011

Just trying to be grateful

We are home on this Saturday night from an inspiring mass with our St. Agnes family. My kids were VERY well behaved. Just set a positive tone for the rest of our night. We were out the door, all bathed and had a snack, on time. Fr. B always has a warm greeting for everyone coming into the church doors. It makes you feel welcome and aware it was worth all efforts made to get there.
There are now changes to the Catholic mass, today was the first official day. The changes are small, but will take some getting used to. Fr.'s homily was fantastic. He inspired me to reflect on what I struggle so much with, being grateful. He brought up how this time of year, we are on go and move fast through the month. Why do we buy all these gifts and bake all these treats? For our own pleasure? Or is it the spirit of simply giving to someone else? He reminded us where the focus should be: on others, not ourselves. Ironic after my last blog entry, entirely of the deals I found for my children. I stated how excited I am to see their faces. Is that a selfish statement? Do I want to give just to give to my children? What about other children? This was the first year we took three tags from the giving tree at church. We had shirts to buy for a 14 month old boy, 6 year old boy and 7 year old girl. We brought in the shirt for the 14 month old tonight, but have not purchased the other two yet. We have until next weekend. I was glad we were able to participate this year. I want my children to see what it is like to give to those you do not know. I hope to keep the focus on the real meaning of Christmas with them. I think Advent and Seven's first reconciliation preparation will help remind me to teach them. Fr. challenged us to take an extra five minutes this week to pray. I admit, we've fallen out of the evening prayer routine again. We were on a roll, and then something changes our schedule and it is cut from the routine. Four always remembers. She says a prayer from preschool and never forgets. We could all learn from her.
I hope to really enjoy all of our Christmas preparations this holiday season. I don't want it to be like a drill or have to project. Thanksgiving was done with ease and no stress. I hope that is the theme for Christmas. I usually love this time of year, Advent and getting ready for the great holiday. It really is the most wonderful time of the year. What better reason to celebrate? The birth of our Lord brings families all over together. The miles and miles we will travel this holiday will be worth it for togetherness, for that, I am most grateful.

No comments: