Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The crabby side of Six

Six is sometimes not a morning person. Today was one of those mornings. From the moment I poked my head in his room, he was frustrated and irritated. I simply asked them to get dressed. Seven says "okay" and does it. All I get out of Six is a growl and scowl. It's going to be a great day!
After he is dressed, breakfast is on the table waiting for him. I run upstairs to get myself prepared. Apparently his egg was not yolky enough and N made him another. When I get back downstairs, he is still angry and ungrateful. I explain that N did not have to make another egg. Most kids don't have eggs before going to school. After a little pep talk and pointing out that we have a play date with his friend today, he straightened out. If you're going to be that crabby, you don't need to have a play date with your friends. I could very well take Seven and Four. This is a friend of Six, but N is home and could keep whomever can't behave at home.
He turned his attitude around enough to help me take the recycling out to the road. This sort of back fired on me, some of his things were in the papers and he was not ready to part with them. I knew this might happen, but had not thought of it at the time.
Our morning continued with boys on the bus and Four to preschool on time. N and I have begun a routine of going to the grocery store during the preschool hours. It's such a luxury for me to have him with. Some days, I am overwhelmed with the entire thing. I am not one who hates grocery shopping, I usually love it. Lately, I'm tired and just need the trip to run smooth. Too many people and too much of a hurry fluster me and I get irritated. With him along, it takes some of the pressure off. He calculates our running total and helps me stick to what is necessary. We make a good team.
I finally picked up a 2012 calendar for the fridge. This was also a questionable purchase to N, but I said it works, don't mess with the system. Under the influence of my Mum, I've always gotten a desk calendar and put it on the top of our fridge. It is large, with all the space needed to write down the weeks events. I depend on it to keep me on the right track.
We had our chicken breasts from Sam's for lunch with a nice spinach salad. N was off to the dentist shortly after lunch and I focused on cleaning up the kitchen. I wanted our house picked up and organized. Tonight I will go to help Daisy clean her house. Can't have mine a disaster after cleaning hers.

No comments: