Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween on a Monday


Halloween is not my favorite holiday. I don't know why. I used to love it when I was a kid, but as a parent, it's just too much. Everyone is overly excited and anxious. It is always stressful getting out the door. Today was no exception. Luckily, I prepared ahead of time with a meal in the crock pot. Chicken breasts and a jar of salsa. Cooked all day and shredded, served over rice. Best idea ever. I love having a rice cooker. It all stayed warm and I enjoyed a bowl at the end of the day.
I was surprised at the amount of candy they brought home from school. I was also thankful Four's preschool celebrated last week instead. The day is chaotic enough, a normal day of preschool was good for the kids.
We made it out the door on time and explored the neighborhood. We met up with Zinnia and crew. We trick or treated for about an hour and the headed to the school. The local grocery store put on a night of games and prizes. It was really great. The kids had a wonderful time and got a variety of prizes, not just candy. I was impressed as were other parents.
They love answering the door just as much as the rest of Halloween. They sorted their candy and the light was off before 8. Baths and in bed to come. A successful Halloween, even if it's not my favorite holiday.

No comments: