Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"Will you let me be your servant?"

Brother, let me be your servant. Let me be as Christ to you. Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant too.

Words to live by. We struggle to serve others. Fr. B has inspired me in many ways in a short time. With mention of the Servant song in the beginning, and followed by a homily on weeds, the thoughts and ideas came forth.

We struggle to serve God and others. It's hard not to get caught up in life and forget where the foundation came from. I then realize this and take a step back to see what is before me. I when my focus shifts to the material things. I admit, this has happened lately. With receiving insurance money from our flood, we were in the stores buying new things. Carpets/rugs for the basement started the process off and wouldn't you know it, I was then searching for a new couch, etc. other things I've wanted for a long time. It seemed the desire for new things grew and grew. There isn't anything wrong with wanting new things, but sometimes I struggle with finding the patience needed for such large purchases. At times like this, I need to Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant to. Like I said, re-shift my focus and be content with the things I have. This is not necessarily what the song is about, but is the direction my thoughts have taken me.

We are pilgrims on a journey, we are brothers on the road. We are here to help each other, walk the mile and bear the load.

A friend and I were discussing raising children and how "it takes a village." I thought of the Servant song. How the pilgrims on the journey with me are the other parents I've gotten to know. Here we are, trying to raise these soon to be second, first graders and preschoolers. It is a period in our lives where we are walking along the same path. I am thrilled to share my faith with some of these families. Never before have I had this in common with so many new friends. Last night, N and I were supposed to go out alone, no children. These nights are rare, do not happen very often. I admit, I was greatly disappointed when he was too tired to go. I went alone. It was ok, nice to have some time, but I would have enjoyed it with him. I did receive a message from Daisy that made my night. She is such a sweet, caring person. I treasure our friendship. She reminds me of a friend from the past: strong, supportive, accommodating and encouraging.
Zinnia was able to join me later and we found some new ideas for our projects.
All these flowers are pilgrims in the village, on the journey to raise a happy, healthy family.


I will weep when you are weeping. When you laugh, I'll laugh with you. I will share your joy and sorrow, till we've seen this journey through.

This part makes me think of my friends. We've been in so many locations. Each time I have made connections with people, all in different ways. Sometimes a new friend will remind me of an old friend. Many have cried with me, shared the good times and the bad. They all stick with me until we move, till we've seen this journey through. These people were my foundation, aiding me in so many monumental events. From the beginning of our marriage--putting on a wedding, to the birth of our children. We couldn't have gotten through some of those times without help. I think back to Isaac's birth. We didn't know what to do with Seven. He was only 16 months old. It was challenging to pick a delivery date and have relatives fly in to care for him. We were new to our neighborhood. Thankfully, by the time August arrived, we had developed wonderful relationships and found trustworthy neighbors to care for him while we brought his brother into the world. This also happened when it was time to have Three. By that time, the entire neighborhood came together to help us. They took shifts with the boys. It was a time I will never forget. I am not sure they realize the effect they had on me. I wish I was in touch with them more now. I wish they could see Three. She was only a few months old when we left there. They haven't been able to see her in person, in action. I tried to write about these people in the children's baby books. I want them to know how special these people were. We are here to help each other, walk the mile and bare the load.I will share your joy and sorrow, till we've seen this journey through.


When we sing to God in heaven, we shall find such harmony. Born of all we've known together, of Christs love and agony.

It's about togetherness, supporting each other in our faith. We need each other, not only for the schedule and daily tasks. We also serve as a reminder to each other that the Lord is here to see us through it all, regardless the task at hand. We can remind each other of Christs love and agony. All he did for us when he died on the cross.

Brother let me be your servant, let me be as Christ to you. Pray that I might have the grace to let you be my servant too.

In the end, its about strength. Pray to serve each other and the Lord.
My time is up, moving on to the next thing. I hope you enjoyed this entry.

No comments: