Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Up before 6am, not my idea of a good time.

N has the early shift today meaning he is awake extra early. Thanks to him feeling the need to set 5 alarms, here am I, awake extra early.
I was dreaming about fish. Our trip to Rogers City a few weeks ago apparently left an impression on me. The water was so clear. The marina was like an aquarium. I wish we could swim with a snorkel. Then came the desire to be in FL or Hawaii. I am amazed at how many clear lakes there are in MI. If it weren't for the cooler temps, some beaches could pass for FL. MI is full of sand and limestone. The lakes with the limestone give off a blue/green appearance. I am finding myself wanting to explore more of MI. The Pictured Rocks state park intrigues me. It is on our way to MN. Who knows if we could stop there during our journey. This journey will be here before I know it. I have a week. I've started to gather things to bring. I have two garbage bags of baby things for my sister. I am still surprised at all the baby things I have. I thought we had parted with so much. Now it's safe to say we have. I think there are two totes with things no one else would want, or early stuff I decided to keep. First outfits and afghans.
I am back on my workout schedule. N and I discussed it. I was discouraged from not getting on the elliptical for so long. One talk with him and I back on track. 10 days until we leave, he said we should do 50 miles. I said, okay, I'll try. Got 5 in yesterday. Hope to stick with it.
Five has been participating in a reading program at school. At first, I wasn't sure it was the best idea. Lupcke shared this idea. Putting a kindergartner in a summer reading program might only frustrate him more. He can read just fine. The reading teacher was focused on speed. He does it, in his own time. No stutter, etc. In the end, I am thankful for him attending the program. I have to say, kindergarten did wonders for Five and his behavior. Well, the last two weeks were a challenge. He started to return to some of his old ways. Bad habits I rather he forget. Whining, screaming, etc. The reading class put him back in his place. He walked in the school, seeming to have stepped into his old school shoes. I saw a change in his behavior for the better. While he still doesn't want to go to the class, I think part of him realizes he is special in going. Seven asked why he can't go, some of his classmates are there too. I have tried to have exciting things on the agenda, but not until after the class time. Last week, we swam at R's pool, went to see Cars 2, and I can't even remember what else we did. This week, I had no plans. It all has come together though. Yesterday, we went to Daisy's and ran through their crazy sprinkler. Today, I will let them paint. They painted over the weekend and had a great time. Tomorrow, we are going to try the out door pool. We went once last year. During his class, Seven, Three and I went to the store and got items for a picnic. We'll take the cooler and eat at the park after swimming. Thursday we will go see Kung Fu Panda 2 at the cheap theater. They have all $2.50 seats on Thursday nights. Three is free!
More discouragement came yesterday when I learned Fives reading class goes into the following week. I thought it was over this week, making the program only two weeks long. It's three. We are supposed to leave for MN on Wed am or even Tues pm. If we drive straight through in one day, AM is best. PM means a hotel. The incentive to attend class every day is to have your name put in for a drawing. They will give away 4 I pads on the last day. You have to attend every class to qualify. I think most kids have been there every day. Five knows about this. He realizes he might not get one. The kids have used the I pads during class. How do I take away his chances in the end? It does sound silly though, to hold off on vacation due to the chance of winning. Five has worked hard at going and has even had some homework. I've worked hard at scheduling and getting him there. Motivation is hard to come by, talking him into things is even more difficult at times. If we stay, we could leave at 10:30 am on Thursday. This is not an early start. What if we stay and he doesn't win? Lame, late send off.
The other dilemma I face is whether or not to spend the rest of our summer in MN. I am leaning towards yes. N has given his approval. We would be away from him for 16 days. He would not be with Five when he has his birthday. As selfish as it is, I think we will stay. We can't get quality time with the family in MN unless we do. There is not another time in the year where this is possible. We only get to see MN family at Christmas or if we are lucky, spring break. It's hard and seems unfair. We make the most of it, work with the time we are blessed with.
It can be difficult, squeezing in seeing everyone in a week. This will give us more time, but take up the rest of our summer. The kids are excited and ok with the idea. They love G & G's house.
When we get back, we will celebrate Five and Three's birthdays. I'll hold off on a party until then. G & G will bring us back to MI. It will be great and we are all very excited. We've even managed to get some extra beds set up. Two adults can sleep comfortably in Three's room. When G & G come, one sleeps in the boy room, one in the girl room. This was started and is important to Three. She really counts on sharing the girl room with my mom. She has been referring to G as "your mom." Just trying to figure it all out I guess. Well, I hear someone stirring. It's still early for them to be awake. Too early for me. It's movie night for moms at a friends house tonight. Might be late. Maybe I'll get a nap today. Yeah right, keep dreaming. I never get naps.

No comments: