Saturday, January 7, 2012

Whining? Watch out, I'll put you to work!

Saturday mornings growing up I have memories of watching cartoons and staying in our pj's longer than normal. I want that for my kids, I don't mind if they stay in their pj's longer on Saturday mornings. It's the only day we have like that, it's what the day should be for, relaxing. N made brunch and all I heard was whining. We had to change our afternoon plans due to church. Four is singing at preschool tomorrow morning. We have to be there by 9 am. There won't be time to get back to town for mass. Instead of skipping, I wanted to go tonight at 4:30. That meant holding our play date off until after mass. I really didn't want to miss. We haven't been in town for so long, this is our first weekend back. When I reported the change in plans to the group, whine, whine, whine. My entire schedule is based around them and their needs. It is not fair for me to listen to such whining. I was fed up and put them to work. After breakfast, Four and Six cleared the table. Seven went outside and cleaned up a few things on the front porch. I gave everyone a Clorox wipe and a trash can. They picked all the junk out of the car and truck, wiped it down and took turns using the shop vac to clean it out. Success! N took them for a walk to the auto parts store and our day was looking up. When they came inside, I had them clean out the hall closet. It is full of their things, hats, mittens, boots, coats, sweatshirts, etc. Everyone has a shelf, everyone has a place for their things. Throughout the week, it turns to chaos. They are good workers. It all took about an hour or so. They were off to play.
During our trip, we had a great chef salad from Perkins in the UP. I've been thinking of that salad for awhile. I made one for N to take to work and myself. I'll feed them in a little while, closer to church time.
After mass we will head to Ivy's for lasagna dinner. I made a salad for that and plan to pick up some garlic bread. We will have a great day! I am determined.

No comments: