Friday, March 18, 2011

Just keep swimming

The week started out great with birthday celebrations. Carefree and enjoying life were wonderful feelings. We were up! But, like all good things, they must end and now I am left feeling down. I just am not sure what has gotten into my kids these past two days. They seem fine, but are tired. I think the change in the weather has a lot to do with it. I am met with total disgust when it is time to come inside. Any transition is difficult. From play, to a task such as eating or brushing teeth becomes unbearable. I get easily discouraged with the attitudes. Tomorrow is the school carnival. It will cost us $50 to go. This is a lot of money for a carnival. I figure, we have spent $50 on worse things on a Saturday. We have not done many extra things that cost this much money. Anyway, my point is that we decided this was OK. The money goes back to the PTO. The PTO does many wonderful things that our kids enjoy all year long. It is a good contribution.
After the attitudes, I regret signing up to go. They are not too bad, maybe I should not complain. They are good kids. They do good things. It is just hard when I have to listen to the whining in-between. We all know how hard change is for Five. I think we all are experiencing some of that with the time change and the weather. After being at school all day, they were pretty good until we got home. Three had a melt down when I picked her up from Zinnias. Five gave me a bad time about coming inside after riding his bike. He is so proud of his two wheels.
Alas, all the whining led me to punishment. Not severe, but enough to get me some piece and quiet. We only had an hour and a half before bedtime. I made them sit in their beds and read to themselves. Six came down stairs. I said that was OK, but he had to read to himself on the couch. Three followed 10 minutes later. She still had a hard time. Five came down, complaining why he was upstairs the longest. I didn't mind. He was the one with the worst attitude when we came inside.
I have to admit, I was frustrated because of other things of my own. These three things, I don't really feel I can go into too much detail. One, I hate coming home to a mess. Two, I can't figure some people out. Three, on the verge of illness. I've taken Airborne three times this week.
So, our week continues. Praying for guidance and direction. I realize we can't be Up all of the time. We had a good run. I hope with the warm weather, we can settle into a new spring routine. We've only got a few weeks and we leave for spring break.
I tried to remedy my night with Killian's, but that only gave me a headache. Disappointing. I do not drink hardly at all anymore. It just tasted so good on my birthday, I thought it might today. Guess not. It didn't, maybe because I wasn't up? Maybe because I didn't buy it for the right reasons. Nevertheless, I put the kids to bed and got myself a bowl of Moose-tracks. This too I have avoided lately. I have been on a role with my workouts, only missing once or twice a week. Well, no workout today makes three in a row missed. They called me to sub today. First grade, first time with that group. Once again, I had a wonderful time and love being at the school. After hearing some stories, I really am shocked at the school district. I can not believe how well behaved the children are. The standard is high and it shows. There were no "troublesome" kids in this class. Sure, some were chatty, but I did not have a difficult time with any of them. It was a great day. Maybe because they are good all day, the transition after school at home becomes difficult. I know my boys have a long day. They are so good at school.
Oh writing this all down makes me feel guilty for complaining about them. They do so well and are good at home. I guess it's rough because I tried to explain the response I wanted when it was time to go in the house. Everyone agreed before, but I was greeted with the same tired old response as always when it was time to come in. Sometimes, Five makes me feel like I am the worst mother in the world. He is so dramatic. It's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.
All I can do is pray. I have not been doing as much of that lately. Maybe there lies my problem and solution, all wrapped in one. I need to refocus and get my priorities straight.
What happens to those who do not pray? What happens to those who never share a thought, emotion, idea about or with God? Maybe that is for an entirely different post.
Guess I will watch my movie or read my book. Another Friday night in Michigan.

No comments: