Friday, February 4, 2011

How to get things done

Mr. C from next door knows how to get things done. The neighbors worked hard to clear the driveways, then the snowplow comes through and shoves a think mound of snow right in the exit of our homes. Talk about frustrating! I had this discussion with Mr. C when we got home from school. Less than an hour later, the maintenance guy was plowing Mr. C and the neighbor's driveway clear. I never would have considered calling the landlord. Kudos to Mr. C!
I subbed for special ed today. I had never been in that room before. It was nice and fun. I was able to work one on one with many kids. I got to know the girl who bit Five a few months ago. I can't remember if I blogged about it, it was in October I think. She came into Five's classroom and walked right up to him and bit him. Mr. L called me to tell me what happened. I went to check on him about an hour after it happened and he was fine. She is a sweet girl, but the paras said they need to keep her away from the other kids. One boy almost had a melt down over having to get creative with a story. I had subbed for his class twice in the last two weeks. Once given a direction that tied his interest to it, he was able to write eight pages! And to my surprise, the story was quite funny. I enjoyed helping him through that difficult time and seeing the results in such a positive way. When he was done he put up his had at me for a high five without saying anything. It was sweet. Another boy came in and directly to me asked where his teacher was and who I was. I told him and he gave me a little pat/rub on my shoulder saying he was happy to have me there. I worked with him throughout the day too. Another boy doesn't talk. I remember seeing him during the bake sale. He was wandering the halls, but could not tell us where he belonged. I worked with him on a short story. It was supposed to be 2-3 sentences about anything he liked. The other teachers told him he had to talk to me in order to do the assignment. I got the first sentence "We played in the snow." (Yesterday on the snow day.) But the second sentence, I had a hard time understanding. He was saying something about playing a game, but it sounded like something to do with someone named Kim. In the end we figured it out and he completed his work. What an adventure. The teacher I subbed for came at the end of the day. I guess she was at a workshop and then meetings all day. I thanked her for the experience and told her how much I enjoyed my day. I have seen her in the hallway many times, but never with a smile on her face. She really lit up when I told her how great it was to be there. She is really good with the kids too.
On another note, it is amazing how small the world can be sometimes. Would you believe I had a conversation with a para that started out about Oklahoma and led to learning she was from North Dakota? She knew every place I mentioned. It was fun to know there was a connection to "home" around here. Not that she is from my hometown, but just that she knew the town my grandparents live in and even knew my hometown was kind of fun. She goes to our church too. Guess we will have a different greeting next time we see each other.
Still, another note, just as we left the school the emergency vehicles pulled up to the doors we had just come out of. The buses had already left and Zinnia and I were exchanging children. Nothing seemed to be happening when we left, but by the time we got home, we could hear the ambulance arriving somewhere in town. It had to have been the school. It got me thinking how many people I have come to know and care about were in that building at that exact moment. After the death of Father Larry, I can't imagine how we would feel if something like that happened to another new friend in town. I pray for who ever it was and that it all turned out OK in the end. We have come to really enjoy this small community. Once again, it is bitter sweet. As much as I love it here, it still makes my heart ache that we are not closer to home.
And so, that is the end of another week for our family. Tonight, its just the kids and I. I hope to find something to do tomorrow, or it might make for a very long weekend. Two snow days followed by only one day of school might be tough since we did nothing those snow days. We do have great plans for Sunday following mass. The boys have been counting down for Sunday to get here.

1 comment:

jacko said...

Mr. C knows how to work the magic!prooe