Saturday, September 29, 2012

Making preparations

Well, I was hoping all the death and dying in my family would cease for awhile, but no such luck. A distant relative passed away, but I am not sure I ever knew this person. The sad news is my grandmother has taken a turn for the worse. She possibly had a stroke and is not eating or drinking. She's tough, but I guess it's painful to watch her struggle to breath. Guess it's down to the waiting game. We were lucky to have had a great visit with her in August. While it was not quite like last time, it was still great. She didn't say much. Before, she would ask who we were and where we'd come from. It would be the same questions over and over after 10 minutes had passed. This last time, she just didn't talk. Eventually she began to speak, but it was well into our visit. She is 92 years old. More than 10 years ago, she'd talk about dying. She was ready. Everyone around her was dying. Everyone she knew. I have many great memories of her. She was always a very special person in my life. I tried to visit her as often as I could, especially when I lived in that area. Life is quite different without living near your relatives. What a turn of events this will be. Of all the deaths lately, this will be the one we need to attend. So many things raced through my mind once I heard this news. What day will we leave? Which direction will we go? How much school will they miss? How much homework will we bring? Tuesday is picture day and count day. I know they want all the students there that day. Depending on when things are, that could be the day we leave, right when N is done with work. We will see. Lots of things have to happen first. I can't help it. The wheels start turning.

No comments: