Thursday, May 5, 2011

Operation: rescue my husband

Tonight was an adventure for the books. I get a missed call and message from N. His boat motor quit and he is stuck at a launch on the river. I have no idea where this location is. He left his phone in the truck. His motor quit and he had to float down the river to the current location. He repeats himself, this is his one phone call from someone in the area who let him use the phone.
I hear West Boat Launch. Turns out it was Rust BL. I hear off of Leach Ave. It's actually Lee Ave.
Friends to the rescue! First my phone call to Zinnia, she and Mr. D know the area SO much better than I do (well, that is really an under statement, I don't know the area at all.) She helps me figure out the correct location. It's too much. I have three kids in the car in their PJ's and I have to drive into the ghetto to retrieve my husband. It's six o'clock. Thankfully, my neighbors pull up and rescue me just before I lose it. Miss Diana sweeps the kids off into her house for a movie. Mr. Chuck drives my car, we grab a pool noodle and head off to find N. Zinnia gives Mr. Chuck directions and he knows exactly where we are going.
We arrive at N's current location exactly one hour after he called. N is still fishing. He had no idea if we were coming or not. Someone was watching out for him. My sister called and I heard my phone ring. I missed her call. Had I not heard her call, I would have not noticed his message.
Good to get out of that area before dark. These neighborhoods are beyond questionable. Every other house is boarded up or has been set on fire. Not a place for me to be driving alone, lost with my three kids.
We find our way back to the main road and then to the area he launched the boat in the first place. The truck is still there. Many fisherman were out today. The fish were biting. He came home with one keeper, his first Walleye in MI.
Too much adventure for me. Guess he needs to come up with a better fishing plan, at least program the boat launch addresses into the GPS. So very thankful for Zinnia, Mr. Chuck and Miss Diana. Not sure what my evening would have been like without them. Friends and neighbors are truly angels!

No comments: