Friday, May 13, 2011

Movie time Monday, err, Thursday I guess

I was able to go see the movie Something Borrowed on Thursday night. My good friend Liz gave me the book last year for Christmas. It took me a few months to pick it up and read it. Once I did, I couldn't put it down and read the entire book in one rainy Michigan day. With my birthday been fairly recent, I spent some birthday money and got the rest of the books. Emily Giffin is the author, her blog is listed on the blogs I follow. She is a great writer. Her books all deal with girls in their 30's living on the east coast, mainly in NYC. This book gave me a renewed interest in reading. I can only thank Liz for the inspiration and motivation. She also supplies me with most of my books to read. She will either get an actually copy of a book to me, or provides a good list of which book to seek out next.

My reading list has grown tremendously in the last year. I am making up for all those years I did not read. I thought I didn't have time to read, but somehow it works. I find time and get the book read faster than I can believe. Today for example, I started a new book after the boys got on the bus this morning. I finished my "chores" and took my shower, only to curl up with my new read for awhile. My favorite reading spot is our leather love seat. It is the perfect place to sit and read. I tried to read a little after school, but Five got his first skinned knee and elbow of the season. Road rash while on his scooter. I know he should have had his pads on, that is an entirely different blog entry topic in itself.

My point, I manged to read over 60 pages today. The book is 453 pages long. I'll try to keep track of my reading time and see how quickly I get through it. Tonight will probably bee a good reading night. N works really late. Kids are tired from the week and just want to be free of duties and school work. I let them enjoy their Fridays with as much freedom as I can stand to hand out. After school, we made a trip to the movie store and dollar store. We needed more kids flossers in the bathroom. They love having a movie night. They ask frequently. Friday night is the only night I can approve a movie night. Saturday, we have church to prepare for Sunday morning. Tonight will be great. Now if only I had a great idea for supper.

Back to Something Borrowed, more things were different in the movie than from the book. This happens always when books are turned into movies. Water for Elephants was really as close as they could get to being like the book, except the ending, which still disappoints me slightly. Something Borrowed was fun and a good time. You could tell they hadn't read the book though, a great gasp came from many mouths once Darcy shared her big news towards the end. That sound was priceless. It was a great girl movie, one I would recommend seeing with your best pals. As much as I would have loved to see it with Liz and my little sis, it was great to be with so many new friends. I passed the book around last summer. Some of the girls came to the movie too. We were able to share the differences. The author makes an appearance in the movie too, reading the next book. Overall, I was impressed and can't wait for Something Blue.

No comments: