Monday, August 15, 2011

Daffodil

This was our first visit to Daffodil's house. She has been my friend since we were in nursery school. We brought McDonalds breakfast over to her house Sat am before we left the Mpls area. We were excited to see Stella again. So excited that we didn't get one picture of her. I snapped this picture of Daffodil and the boys on her front porch.
Five has recently shown an interest in the piano. His Godmother would be the perfect teacher.
Daffodil and I have had many adventures together. My Mum used to watch her and her little brother during summer vacation. We would venture off to parks for fun. We were the older sisters, that left us to guide the younger siblings. It was great to have a friend over every day during summer vacation. We started out walking home from school together. Eventually we were able to ride bikes. When we were really old enough, we led the group to the pool. This was a big deal, the pool was on the other side of town. We had to cross many busy roads, railroad tracks and the river. Last spring we were able to visit with her little brother, KO. He and DV would play together all summer. KO shared remembering trying to make mountain dew Popsicles. I have no memory of this, but apparently Daffodil and I were the leaders in that project as well as many others. With more traumatic experiences, Daffodil and I were almost abducted once. We were playing dress up. We were standing in front of my neighbors yard. We were next to the street, poking sticks in ant hills and a burgundy car pulls up to us. We stepped back. I remember thinking the car was pulling into the neighbors driveway. It was an old man. He never opened a door or window, he just patted his hand on the seat and motioned for us to get in. We took off and ran to my house. I remember us laughing in the back yard of my neighbor. We then told my mom what happened. The police were called and Daffodil and I took a ride with a police officer. We drove around town looking for the car. That was all that ever came of that experience. I don't think the car was seen in town right after that. We were too young to know about license plates or trying to remember one. It is an experience that stands out in my mind. I hadn't thought of it for a very long time. Last year I took a course at our church about abductors and abusers. This experience came to mind during the discussions of how abductors think, etc. We were lucky to be old enough to realize what was happening and get away from the situation immediately. I am not sure how she remembers it, but that is what I can recall. We were friends throughout elementary school, then on to middle school. We fell into the same group and ate lunch together throughout high school. While we did drift apart throughout some of those later years, we always remained good friends. We both ventured of to Europe during college. This was something others did not do, bonding us with that experience. She has always been there to lend an ear for me. She took me out on my 21st birthday. She stood by me when I married N. She even came to see us in TX after we were first married. She is one in a million, a friend I will never forget or want to be without. I am proud to know her and thankful we try to see each other every opportunity we have.

No comments: