Friday, January 14, 2011

Where to begin?

Getting ready for a garage sale can be a tremendous undertaking. It is for this reason I am starting now. Our lovely town celebrates Walleye Festival every year, the last weekend in April. I put out a few things last year and made around $35-40 two days. Not bad, but this year I plan to beat that score. The great sorting began today. Zinnia and I went through totes in the basement. I have so many random toy totes and different items from the various moves. My pile for the sale this year will be huge! I only hope I am able to price it all.
The Bake Sale was today. I love the bake sale. The kids are very excited to come. This was the third bake sale of the year. Kindergarten would like to do two. I guess their request has been granted. It should be in February sometime. The trouble with the bake sale is not everyone brings in money. The last two sales, we let everyone take four items, even if they did not have money. After the first bake sale I ever helped with, there were so many items left over. It seemed like such a waste. I brought boxes and bags to the teachers lounge at the LC and the Elementary. Also, the bus garage, they love bake sales. After that, we decided to let everyone take four things no matter what money they brought. Then this fall, the second grade sale did not go as well as in the past. It is a smaller class. Not everyone brought in baked goods. In the end, we almost missed a first grade class and there were only cookies left. Some one has to go last, there is no way around that. We got smarter and set aside some of the "hot" items so there would not be just cookies left. Kindergarten sales always go over well. Kindergarten parents are eager to participate and send plenty. This year, first grade did alright, but left those in charge worried if everyone took four things. Oh this story seems to go on forever.
Only half of the second graders brought money. We let those who did not take two items. I am just not sure how to make everyone happy. The kids were disappointed that they only got two. Well, they didn't bring money. And it was a decent number of them. I am at a loss what to do at the next sale.

No comments: