Monday, January 31, 2011

Vocabulary

Six has a great teacher this year. He really places emphasis on reading to your kids. He has supplied them with great vocabulary words to expand their reading skills. Tonight while reading to the boys, I could not believe how many new words joined their vocabulary. They asked me about words like dignity and muskets. We were reading an adventure book about the Revolutionary War. They were able to guess who the commander in chief was, George Washington. They were very excited throughout the story. It was fun to see their enthusiasm and interest. Celebrating Presidents day soon will bring it all together. I can not believe how much their little minds can absorb. When I think of where they were at the beginning of the school year, and compare it to where they are now, I am amazed. They both have done very well, but we still have things to work on. Five does not have the best handwriting and sometimes will hurry through his coloring. Six complains about answering long questions in his homework. While the answer is only one or two sentences, it is still a painful experience for him. As ridiculous as that sounds, books like the one we read tonight hopefully will cure him of this poor attitude towards writing.
On another note, I recently heard of a situation that occurred in the lunch room between two boys. Apparently, one boy touched the other boy in his private area. This happened three times before the boy told an adult. Both boys were sent to the office and the guilty boy was suspended in school for two days. He was not allowed to ride the bus either. Just as I heard this story today, I hear Six tell Five a similar tale, but involving two boys from Six's class. Six's story was more about fooling around and aim. I tried to set it all straight with them that they are not to be doing this, no matter what their friends think is funny. It bothers me that this type of conversation is what occurs in the lunch room. I wish Six would sit with other boys and not spend time in school with them. He was in the same class as these two last year and I wasn't thrilled then, my feelings are even stronger after this. I truly hope he won't be spending a third year with them.

No comments: