Thursday, January 27, 2011

Haircuts

I just finished giving two out of three haircuts to the boys in this house. I am not a fan of giving haircuts, especially to Five. $10 to Miss Jdi is worth it to me, but we don't always have it. I try to have every other haircut done by her, but that is not always the case. Six whined so much tonight. I had no energy for Five. There are many shaggy boys at school, it seems to be a common factor among all grades. It is hard to keep up with boys and their growing hair. N told me he thought I did a good job on him tonight. I did get some tips from Miss Jdi last time we were there. I need more practice. I wish someone else would take over for me. Alas, that will not happen until Three can cut hair. We tried to call it a barber shop tonight, but that didn't work.
What a crazy day we had. It all started with sub phone calls at 5:45am. I was not able to accept a job due to technical difficulties. I called and left a message for the secretary that I could come in if they did not find anyone. N got called in to work on over time. He makes what I make in an entire day the first 1.5 hrs. About a half hour after he said yes, the principal of the boys school called to see if I could come in. I said I could, but not until noon. I had no one to take Three to preschool and I had a parent teacher conference with her teacher planned for after school.
I spent my two hours while she was at preschool looking for new shoes.
My wonderful neighbor Tulip watched Three so I could go in and help in the classroom. I wasn't sure if I would get to sub for the afternoon and wanted to be sure I was able to commit to the rest of the day if they needed me. They were able to figure it out and spent the afternoon reading a German book to the Kindergarten class. I had so much fun! I taught them to count to ten and explained each page after we read it in German. They caught on and seemed to enjoy it. Later, while working on a valentine place-mat project, I heard ideas about German and their little opinions. They had fun and liked the story. Two boys were hilarious. Mr L refers to one boy as "Mayor of Munchkin City." He is really sweet and shared with me that "Martin Luther was a great German man." The other boy, who is taller than most of the classmates, said "Was there a big battle in German?" "Did the good guys win?" Do they have a big star?" They must have discussed some of this at home and maybe this is what they got out of that discussion??? I have no idea. I never mentioned Martin Luther or the war in any of my German sessions with the kids. Next we will do a lesson with the Rainbow fish and the song "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes." I need to arrange this with the first grade class too.
Tomorrow we are bringing pizza to lunch with some friends. Potato soup tomorrow night and progress on a new project.

No comments: