Saturday, November 24, 2012

To humble me

Tonight I had a humbling experience, one that put things back into perspective financially. I think it changed both N and I. We have no business fixing up old boats and wanting $600 camera, etc. I have to realize (and thought I had) that we can't keep up with those around us. I needed a reality check, back to thanksgiving for things we do have and not for the things we want. Now, honestly, I never thought I'd get a $600 camera. It was just something I realized I would like and it compared to the cost of fixing up an old boat or two. I even found a swinging deal on a Kitchen Aide mixer and thought maybe that was a realistic thing to want for the holidays, but not acting on it right away would change the price, therefore not making it the swinging deal it used to be. I've really tried hard to watch what I buy and how I spend money. Perhaps my trip to Ikea got me too wrapped up in getting new things. I had saved some money my dad gave me last month for the desks for the kids. I don't feel guilty for the other things I spent. Overall, the trip cost me less than $200. That was the first time I went on a trip like that. My point, no more extras. I will stick to my Christmas list and that is all. The groceries always throw me off, I will get creative with what I have. Why does life have to create these challenges? To humble me. Norah Jones has a song with that phrase. It was singing in my head tonight and still is. Not sure when I will stop hearing it, but hopefully not anytime soon.

No comments: