Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Parent teacher conferences

Trying to keep it together can be a weekly/daily struggle. I have a big calendar to write everything down on. I keep it in the kitchen, all are able to see what is coming up. Tonight, I failed. Actually, last night I failed. Turns out I was off a night for Eight and his parent teacher conferences. I had no clue his was on Monday. My calendar said all on Tuesday. His teacher was as sweet as can be and we will meet at another time. Eight was disappointed in me. I felt bad. On another note, it was so great to hear such good things about our children. I think I get so wrapped up in the daily routine. We've been frustrated with Eight. I feel like frustration has taken over our life. I feel frustrated way too many days a week. It shows in my children and their behavior. We are wound too tight and need to relax, get more energy out. Nine has straight A's and is doing very well in school. His teacher loves having him in class. The boy never has any homework. She said she knows, she can see how hard he works in class. He makes the maximum use of his time during school hours and gets everything he needs done during that time. I told her we never study spelling words, it comes naturally to him. She already knew. We couldn't be more proud of Nine. I will have to write about Eight after we get to meet with his teacher. She did give us his papers and I saw a report card he gave himself. He was quite honest with his answers, for that I was incredibly proud. Six is also doing a great job in school. She is above where she is supposed to be in all categories. Her reading was probably my biggest concern, but she's right on track. Above actually, she is doing very well. The teacher told me about when Six gets to a word she doesn't know, they have been working on attacking it to figure it out. Six is quiet and not aggressive with reading, but she is getting better. Lately, she has told me when she can figure out the word she is reading. She doesn't want me to help her figure it out. We've been reading more at bedtime. It's been great. Baby Girl even joins in on the reading fun. I felt so good after conferences, minus the failing to meet with 3rd grade. It is nice to hear kind things about your children from others. With all the frustrations, we are doing a good job. I feel guilty for the frustrations and hope to keep them out. We need to work on not letting the frustrations take over the day. For now, that is my goal.

No comments: